Thursday, November 22, 2007

Not turkey day here..

You know what my kitchen is lacking? A ROLLING PIN. Which makes rolling phyllo dough difficult. To the rescue.. a can of PAM. Necessity is the mother of invention! The chicken pot pie puff top turned out sooooooo well! Chris insisted I write the recipe down here (so I won't forget it I suspect*) for everyone to enjoy. /eyeroll I am such a lazy cook.

Chicken Pot Pie Puff thing

1 roasted chicken shredded into pieces, no bones ok?
1 package phyllo pastry (I used Tenderflake)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup margarine, butter, oil or some kind of fat.
1/2- 1 litre chicken stock (I used Knorr simply chicken)
1/2 big bag frozen chopped veg (Green Giant pea, carrot, corn and green bean mix) or by all means use fresh. I didn't have fresh on hand and again, lazy as hell.
1 tsp-ish Bacon Salt (I MEAN IT)
salt and pepper to taste
I also used about a tablespoon of freeze dried salad herbs (chives, shallots, red onion, garlic and dill) Lighthouse brand. mmm.. this stuff rocks.

Heat oven to 400 c.
I spilt this into 2 pie pans or you could do one big casserole dish. Whatever works.

Make a simple roux. Melt butter in large pot, when melted add flour. Saute until mixed, stirring the whole time. Start adding chicken stock. It will begin to thicken, keep adding chicken stock until you have the desired amount and thickness.

Add chicken to roux. Is there enough sauce? If not, add more stock. This is an eyeball kinda thing. Add 1/2 bag of veg. If you are using fresh veg, you will want to lightly sweat the veg before adding to chicken mix. See why the frozen works?

You will want this to be quite saucy at this point. Add bacon salt, salt and pepper and dried herbs. Turn down to lowish heat and let simmer, stirring often so it doesn't stick to the bottom of your pot. Let reduce to condense flavours.

Roll out your phyllo (hopefully using a rolling pin) on lightly floured surface. When your chicken mix is thickened to your liking, pour into pans of choice and cover with phyllo. Bake for approx 15 minutes or until top is golden brown and flaky. I didn't use a wash on the phyllo, as I like the really flaky crust, not crispy.

Cool for 5 min or so, serve and bask in the adulation of all. I served this with cobbler for dessert as I am a pig.

*I *may* have tendency to forget recipes after I make them up in my head. Drives my engineer NUTS. :)

No comments: